Quote

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.

Jessamyn West
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
noirness has read 8 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

Thursday, November 1, 2012
So here I am on Day One of NaNoWriMo and I'm writing a blog post. But guess what, bitches? This girl has reached her target word count for the day and it's only the afternoon! Boo-yah! So I decided to take a well deserved break between writing and flea-battling (the only downfall to having four cats) and finish up my post on the Snowflake Method.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, see Part 1.

So far I've described the first two steps in utilizing the Snowflake Method. Now bear in mind that I am not following a specific guideline for doing this...I'm just sort of winging it. Just to reiterate, Step 1 involves throwing down a basic outline for your story. Step 2 addresses each scene with various questions about setting, feelings, characters, etc.

Step 3 is where I found the specifics of my story. I began with the simple scene descriptions of Step 1 and started adding scenes that occur in between. Let's look at my example from Part 1 (not my NaNoWriMo story) and add some scenes:

1. Man loses puppy.
- He calls his estranged brother for help, but his brother refuses, tells him to suck it up
2. He searches the neighbourhood.
- While talking to an elderly and lonely neighbour who lures him into the sitting room with tea, they talk for two hours
- After many hours of searching he sleeps on the porch with a bag of treats, periodically waking up to shake them
3. He posts fliers and ads.
- After a week of no responses from his ads and fliers, the man locks himself in the bathroom with his phone
etc. etc.

I'm not going to bother writing out an entire outline because that would be a waste of time on such a ridiculous premise. Although I challenge anyone to actually write this story.

Once you have determined the scenes that move the story forward, it's time to move on to what I like to call Step 4. In Step 4, you basically write out random scenes that come to mind that don't really fit in, or you expland (which is expanding and explaining) scenes from Step 3 that you feel need more information.

Easy-friggin-peasy, right? I'm sure there is potential for more steps in this process, but it's November 1st and my prep time is over. It's time to write that novel!

0 comments: