Quote

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.

Jessamyn West
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
noirness has read 8 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 21, 2012
I can hear you now:
"Ugh! No one should use outlines when writing a novel! You should write as the story happens!"

Spoken like a true never-has-participated-in-NaNoWriMo-er.

I've committed myself to participating, and succeeding in, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). For those of you not in the know, this is a worldwide events in which people challenge themselves to write a 50 000 word novel during the month of November.

Easy-peasy, I know.

After a couple of tried-and-failed attempts, I've decided to approach November as prepared as I can possibly be so when the 1st hits, all I have to worry about is writing. It's like sorting all the puzzle pieces by colour before attempting to put it together.

So I've been doing my research (and you know how I love getting technical). Writing an outline was certainly not my first step, but it's the one I would like to address now. And I discovered a nifty little strategy called "The Snowflake Method".

The premise is this: You start very basic and build onto the outline by adding more detail. Let me demonstrate:

The Snowflake Method was created by Randy Ingermanson to effectively outline a story by organizing and managing your creativity.

And now I'll explain how I practically applied this to my NaNoWriMo project.

Step One
 
I started off with a basic outline. For example (and not from my project), you're telling a story about a man who loses his puppy and how he falls in love with the woman who finds it (again, not my project). First, you start with the basics.

1. Man loses puppy.
2. He searches the neighbourhood.
3. He posts fliers and ads.
4. His depression causes him to development a drinking habit.
5. While attempting suicide he receives a call from a woman claiming to have found his dog.
6. He unties the noose from his neck and meets her at a park.
7. Elated with joy, he discovers she does in fact have his dog.
8. Out of appreciate he takes her to dinner.
9. They fall in love.

 Step Two

Question each scene.

1. Man loses puppy.
- How did the puppy get lost?
- How long did he have the puppy for?
- How does this make him feel?
2. He searches the neighbourhood.
- Does he walk or drive?
- Does he knock on doors?
- Does the search make him anxious?
3. He posts fliers and ads?
- Where does he post them?
- Does anyone help?

Etc...etc...

TO BE CONTINUED...

0 comments: