Quote

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.

Jessamyn West
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
noirness has read 8 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

Monday, September 20, 2010
Wow, it's been a year since I've posted anything on this blog...not that it matters, since I highly doubt anyone reads this.

And if someone is reading this, then you do not exist.

So I've taken up writing again...because it's more stimulating than knitting and more productive than doing nothing. Plus, I figure in order for me to live in financial comfort benefiting from something I enjoy doing, I better get something published.

Having reached a point where further creation of my story requires actual thought, I decided to explore the finer art of writing and began my education with the structure of plot. (After spending hours learning all I can about the Resident Evil video games on Wikipedia...ah, Wikipedia. You be a blessing and a curse.)

Sure, we all learned this crap during our days of public schooling, but never has it become relevant than when I am actually trying to develop a plot. Plot structure is my fractions, the useless information I tell myself, "I will never need this in the real world."

Hello, Real World, I am having problems developing my plot.

Without further ado, here is what I have learned about plot and plot development (in simplistic, easy to not overthink terms):

1. Exposition (background information)
So a story has to begin somewhere, and that somewhere is with the characters and the conflict. As a writer you must create an emotional involvement between the reader and characters...because if they don't give a shit about the person then they won't care what sort of issues they have to deal with. And you have to outline the issue, because a character wandering through life all la-dee-da is boring. Conversation, narration or character musings are great ways to introduce this information. Just don't lay it all out at once...iNfOrMaTiOn OvErLoAd!!! Spread it out over two or three chapters, giving the reader a reason to continue.

2. Rising Action (introduction of main conflict)
So now that we know who we are dealing with and what the issue is, we need to flush out the actual conflict the character(s) will face. This is the main problem that will be eventually dealt with through character action. The rising action should involve crisis, tension, excitement and complication. This is also where the characters will become aware of this problem and take steps to battle it.

3. Climax (high point)
This is the moment we've all been waiting for. The is the main event, the big tamale, the darkest moment, the hardest challenge...Our hero could fail. There is always a possibility of impossibility as our character faces his crisis head on. The climax is the physical or emotion turning point of the entire story...how will the problem change our hero?

4. Falling Action (winding down)
Here we can exhale that long held breath as we clenched our fists in anticipation of the climax's outcome. What is the result of the actons or decisions made or taken during the climax?

5. Resolution (the end)
All good things come to an end, and thusly this is where the story concludes. Tie up your loose ends. Wrap it all up with a shiney bow (or a grisly one). Don't leave the reader hanging...unless a sequel is in the cards.

Okay, so knowing what a plot involves is great, but how can we apply this knowledge to our writing? Simple, we outline.

AAAAAAHHHHH! Outlines!!!!

I'm not talking the high school point-form outline of our torrid educational past. I'm talking about talking to ourselves, making notes, planning. The only person the outline needs to make any sense to is the writer. Here are some ideas I've gathered on how to outline your story:

1. Story Wheel
Yay! Wheels are fun! Draw up a wheel, split it into 6 sections (characters, theme, action, motive, conflict and resolution) and write in each space what you know so far. You can also make wheels for each characters. This is will give you a layout of what your story involves.

2. File Cards
My method of choice. Use filing cards to write down individual scenes, character information and other plot components. This way you can rearrange the cards and organize a timeline as well as incorporate useful information such as character background.

3. Storyboards
I always think of DVD special features when I think of storyboards. You don't have to be a Pixar animator to create a useful storyboard. Use stickfigures, shapes, whatever. Just draw and label major scene in frames in the order they occur. This is a great visual tool for understanding where your plot is headed.

And that's all I got. RESOLUTION!!!

0 comments: