Quote

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.

Jessamyn West
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
noirness has read 8 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

Friday, November 9, 2012
Forgive me fellow writers, for I have sinned.
This is my first confession.

While behind on my word count I went back and edited some of my story. Before you condemn me to writer's hell please hear my explanation and justification.

I was struggling to catch up to today's word count and realized that I was becoming bored with my own story. There was no action, no foreseeable conflict, no plot. What I had was over 11 000 words of dialogue and miscellaneous rambling. I felt I had no choice but to rework some previous plot points.

It felt bad but in the end it felt so right. You see, I was dragging out a character's doomed relationship when I came to the realization that if already doomed I should doom it earlier than later. I have to say that the feeling of satisfaction and the renewal of hope for my novel was well worth breaking a cardinal NaNo rule.

If I may present an analogy, I shall liken this decision to underwear. Up until this lapse in editing judgment, I felt as if I was confined to wearing a pair of old, prickly, uncomfortable under-garments. I was constantly shifting and tugging and this distraction was hindering my writing efforts. By going back and rewriting, I felt as if I had slipped into a pair of luxurious silken briefs. No longer was I pulling and fighting with a plot-wedgie, if you will, but basking in the glorious relief of a decent pair of panties. And the rest is smooth sailing.

I hope all can be forgiven and, if you feel it necessary, I will ask Tolkien for forgiveness and recite three Love Songs of J. Alfred Prufrock.

Amen.

0 comments: